Veterans' Affairs Health in Western Australia

The Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) in Australia provides assistance and support to veterans, their families, and carers.

Veteran Assistance & Support

This includes access to healthcare services, rehabilitation programs, and other support services to help veterans manage their physical and mental health conditions.

In this article, we will discuss the role of a GP in supporting veterans and how they can help them access the services they need.

What is "Veterans' Affairs?"

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) is a federal government agency responsible for providing support and help to veterans and their families. The DVA provides a range of services including compensation and rehabilitation for injuries and illnesses incurred during military service, health care, and other support services.

The DVA provides services to eligible veterans and their families, which includes:

How can a GP help veterans?

GP’s play a critical role in supporting veterans to manage their physical and mental health conditions. They provide a range of services listed below…

Medical assessments and diagnoses

A GP can perform medical assessments and provide diagnoses for any physical or mental health conditions that may be affecting a veteran’s health. They can also provide referrals to specialists for further investigations and treatment.

Chronic disease management

Chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and respiratory conditions can be common in veterans. A GP can provide ongoing care and management to help veterans manage these conditions and reduce the risk of complications.

Read more about how our doctors can help you manage your Chronic Disease here.

Mental health support

Many veterans may experience mental health issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and anxiety. GP’s can provide mental health support and treatment, and may also refer veterans to mental health specialists for further treatment.

veterans affairs medical assistance
Call us on (08) 6559 4788 to arrange a veterans affairs consultation

This service is not only limited to normal consults, patients can now access chronic disease management and mental health item numbers as well.

Referrals for specialist care

GP’s can refer veterans to specialist healthcare providers for further investigations and treatment, such as physiotherapists, occupational therapists, and mental health specialists.

Prescribing medication

GP’s can prescribe medication to help manage symptoms and improve overall health outcomes. This can include medications for pain relief, mental health conditions, and chronic diseases.

How to access Veteran's Affairs support services

To access DVA support services, veterans and their families need to apply to the DVA for a White Card or Gold Card. A White Card provides access to medical treatment for accepted service-related injuries or illnesses. A Gold Card provides access to a wider range of medical treatment, including treatment for all medical conditions.

veterans affairs benefit cards

To apply for a White or Gold Card, veterans need to submit an application to the DVA, along with evidence of their eligibility. Once approved, veterans can access a range of services, including medical treatment, rehabilitation, and other support services.

Don't forget to wash your hands...

Call Us Now