NEW PATIENTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME
FEES & BILLING STRUCTURE
After long and careful consideration, we have made the decision to introduce mixed billing from the 3rd January 2022.
What does mixed billing mean?
Mixed-billing means that some patients will have a ‘gap payment’ for appointments. A gap payment is an out-of-pocket cost that is the difference between the practice’s private fee and your Medicare rebate. For our practice, patients eligible for a Medicare rebate will incur an out-of-pocket cost of between $7.85 – $20.00 for your standard and long consults, however, some patients will continue to be bulk-billed. Other item numbers used may incur additional charges.
Why have we changed to mixed billing?
The decision to move to mixed billing was not taken lightly. The reality is our healthcare system is not sustainable for medical centres to complete 100% bulk billing long term and providing quality health care. We have held out in hope of reforms to Medicare that have never come and the returns we receive from Medicare simply do not cover our costs of operating as a practice, let alone as a practice that prides itself on providing the highest quality of primary healthcare humanly possible. We are committed to maintaining and improving the quality of healthcare we provide and have had to take this step in order to protect the sustainability of our practice. We cannot thank you enough for your ongoing support of our practice – in the past and into the future as we make this transition.
When will bulk-billing still apply?
Access to healthcare is very important to us. Therefore, certain patients will continue to be bulk-billed. Patients who will continue to be bulk-billed are:
- Children 17 years or younger
- All COVID-19 Vaccinations
- Pension Card holders
- Health Care card holders
- Commonwealth Senior card holders
- DVA Patients
How will the fee be processed?
You will be charged the full private fee to your credit or debit card at the end of your appointment. Please note that we do not accept cash and do not keep cash on the premises.
We can then electronically process your Medicare rebate on your behalf. If you are paying by debit card, the rebate appears in your account on the same day of the consult, if you pay by credit card the rebate should appear in your bank account within 1-2 business days. We recommend that you ensure your bank details are up-to-date on MYGOV to avoid any delays in receiving your rebate.
What happens if I have overseas student or visitors cover and not Medicare?
You will be charged the gap fee only to your credit or debit card at the end of your appointment. Please note that we do not accept cash and do not keep cash on the premises.
We can then electronically process your insurance rebate on your behalf with your respective overseas private health insurance company.have
Patients with Overseas Student / Visitors Cover
B – Consult < 20 min
$55.00 ($15.90 gap payable after the consult for OSHC and OVHC patients only)
C – Consult > 20 min < 40 min
$95.00 ($19.25 gap payable after the consult for OSHC and OVHC patients only)
D – Consult > 40 min
$131.50 ($20.00 gap payable after the consult for OSHC and OVHC patients only)
$47.00 ($15.90 gap payable after the consult for OSHC and OVHC patients only)
$26.00 ($15.90 gap payable after the consult for OSHC and OVHC patients only)
- Please ensure you bring your Medicare Card and Concession Cards to your appointments. It is practice policy to check at every appointment.
- Overseas Students welcome – please make sure you bring your private health fund and student cards to the consult. If you have BUPA, Medibank, AHM, IMAN, CBHS or Allianz Overseas student or visitors cover, you will be charged a gap only. If you have any other private health overseas covers, payment will be required after the consult.
- Walk-ins are always welcome at Vitalia Healthcare, all patients will be triaged by our staff and given an appointment suitable to the urgency of the matter.
- Veteran Affair patients are always welcome and there will be no charge to the patient as long as you have a valid Veteran Affairs Card. Have you left the defence forces since the 1st July 2019 and completed at least one day full time service, then you will be eligible for the Annual Veteran Health Check. A comprehensive physical and mental health assessment that provides a structured plan to assist with helping to resolve your healthcare needs, covered by DVA no out of pocket expenses for the health assessment.
- Telephone consults are available to patients that have seen one of our doctors face to face within the last 12 months.
Worker's Compensation & Motor Vehicle Claims
- Vitalia Healthcare welcomes workers compensation and motor vehicle patients. When making an appointment please choose the appropriate appointment type for your appointment and bring your claim number to the appointment.
- If an appointment is missed, a non-attendance fee of $20 will be charged to the patient. To avoid this fee please notify us two hours prior to your appointment time if you are unable to attend.