A pre-employment medical is for both the employer & employee.
Vitalia GPs can provide employment medicals
Starting a new job is an exciting time for anyone. As part of the employment process today, many employers require potential employees to complete a medical assessment as part of the screening process. A pre-employment medical, while commonly considered to be just for the employer, also helps the employee identify the occupational hazards he or she might face during their employment.
Depending on the industry, an employment related medical will vary both in complexity and types of tests required. Please make sure you allocate enough time to have the medical completed by your GP and any tests ordered before the due date to hand back to your employer.
Booking an employment-related medical
- When booking the any medical with Vitalia Healthcare, please call the medical centre and discuss your needs with the receptionist before you formally make a booking. This ensures we book the appropriate time needed for your medical assessment;
- It is common for your potential employer to supply the paperwork that is required to be filled out by your GP. If you are not provided with a pre-employment medical, please inform the receptionist of your employers criteria at the time of the booking so we can arrange to use one for you;
- Please arrive at your appointment 15 minutes before to ensure any necessary paperwork is filled out before you see the doctor;
- When you see the doctor they will fill out their respective parts of the medical and order any tests if applicable;
- Please note if the pre-employment medical requires the results of those tests to be included, finalisation of the pre-employment medical might not be able to occur until after those test results return.
What happens during a pre-employment medical?
An employment medical may consist of any of the following components:
- Height, weight, body mass index (BMI)
- Heart check, blood pressure, pulse
- Full musculoskeletal examination including comprehensive range of movement
- Central nervous system examination
- Examination for hernias and other abdominal abnormalities
- Urinalysis for diabetes or kidney / bladder disorders
- Respiratory examination
- Vision assessment including colour blindness
Cost of the Pre-Employment Medical
The cost of the pre-employment medical is not covered by Medicare and such is privately billed, payable by the patient after the doctors consult. For your convenience payment can be made by either cash, credit card or debit card. The price of the pre-employment medical varies according to the number of pages the doctor needs to fill out and the number of tests that need to be organised. Please see below for the potential costs:
|Type of Pre-Employment Medical||# Pages||Length of Apppointment||Price (incl. GST)|
|Standard Pre-Employment Medical - company paperwork||1 - 2pp||20 - 30 mins||$121.00|
|Long Pre-Employment Medical – company paperwork||3+ pages||40 - 45 mins||$187.00|
Typical Pre-employment Medical Assessment
A standard Pre-Employment may include:
- Blood pressure
- Doctor review of medical history questionnaire
- Doctor review:
- Peripheral vision
- Oral and ear
- Nervous system
- Basic musculoskeletal.
Types of Medical Assessment
Types of pre-employment medical assessments.
- Emergency Response Medical Assessments
- VISA and Overseas Medicals
- Maritime Medicals
- Commercial Drivers Medicals
|Spirometry – pre and post||$44.00|
|Instant Urine Drug Test||$30.00|
If you have any questions, please speak to one of our receptionists on 6559 4788 or email your queries to email@example.com where we will endeavour to get back to you by the end of the next business day.
COVID-19: Don't forget to wash your hands...
Chronic Disease Management
If a patient is eligible and has signs of a chronic disease such as arthritis, asthma, back pain, cancer, cardiovascular disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, diabetes or mental health conditions. Depending on their prognosis they can now access the following over the phone: